Saturday, February 20, 2021

Expectations Vs. Reality: Teenagers

    Whenever I watch a film or tv show that targets teenagers like me, Hollywood tends to write us as if we only care about drugs, alcohol, and partying. Personally, there are only two main characteristics to my personality: watching the Office an unhealthy amount of times, and obsessing over the Hamilton soundtrack. Yes, I am seventeen years old and sane, but I can guarantee that what's being portrayed on productions such as Riverdale and D.U.F.F don't entirely represent teenagers today, only how adults think we communicate and act towards one another. When I create my film opening, I want to make sure that I properly represent and target the interests of those my age, and not repeat the trends of past productions that paint teenagers in a negative light. 

Literally Anything but Riverdale...

With most films and tv shows targeted towards teens, I found that they glamorize the life of being young, rather than focusing on both the positives and the negatives. For example, the Netflix film, The Kissing Booth, focuses on teen romance and the highlights of late night parties, but the actors playing these characters are within their 20's, and the experiences that they are being paid to portray most likely have not happened in real life. However, no production will ever miss harder on teenage representation than Riverdale, which does not have any characters that can deemed relatable. One of the central characters, Jughead, is supposed to represent an "outsider", and be this unique individual that rebels against society, such as how he uses a typewriter to write instead of a computer. Instead, his characteristics are dramatized, and seem as though they are mocking the difficulties of fitting in and finding a true identity. With plots that range from murder and crime, to starting a drug business in order to support someone's grandma (no I am not making this up...this was a real idea from the show), Riverdale has become a meme rather than representative, and from what I have noticed, has become the inspiration and backbone for negative portrayal of teenagers in the media. After viewing Riverdale, Iknow that I want my opening to reflect themes that teenagers will actually understand, and establish characters that teens can relate to. When I eventually write the script, I want to put pieces of myself into the characters, so that I can make sure they are authentic, rather than stereotypical like Jughead. 


Inspiration for my Film Opening

Besides Riverdale, there are some films that tend to capture modern adolescence, such as The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Watching from the perspective of Charlie, the film highlights how important it is for teenagers to explore and find their identity. It also portrays an accurate depiction of mental health, and allows teens to relate to the situations that the characters go through. Along with this film, The Edge of Seventeen is one of my favorite films, because of how I can see myself in the main character, Nadine. Having the feeling and knowing your alone can be painful, and seeing it portrayed on screen made me feel better about myself, and the problems I face in my life. With this film opening, I want to be able to emulate that same feeling, no matter what the eventual plot is going to be. I want other teenagers who eventually watch my project to be able to relate to at least one character, and feel a connection to the story. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

May I Present...Keep Watching!

The journey of making Keep Watching  has come to an end! Below are the links the short film, social media page, and the postcard.  Keep Watc...