Wednesday, February 24, 2021

New Character Ideas + Group Meeting

 Hey y'all it's Soph!

In my previous blog post (Script Ideas +Schedule), I discussed certain ideas I had for the script, as well as how I wanted to convey realistic emotions. While I originally wanted to do a dream sequence, I've decided to maintain the concept of having an alternative reality, but instead I wanted that imagination to come from one character, rather an entire setting. Hence, I want this character to be an "imaginary friend" to the main character, and reflect their inner thoughts and emotions. The reason I made this change was because I connected more to the idea of having an imaginary confidant, as for my whole life I have been made fun of for talking outloud to myself. I will admit though, if you ever caught me talking to myself, it is a little creepy...it sounds like I'm having a full blown conversation with someone, and no, I don't whisper, I speak at a regular volume. I guess I can see where people are coming from....


Anyway.....


Creating this imaginary character provides the opprotunity to illustrate how the main character tends to deal with situations on their own, rather than confiding in a real friend or family member. This is something I personally struggle with, as I always bottle up my feelings and never express how I'm feeling at any particular moment, which is ironic because I am BOMB at giving advice...virgo sun and rising tings!


I was anxious when I first changed the direction and plot of the opening, but during class I had a group discussion with a few classmates and their advice helped me in figuring out the new imagianry character, as well gave me ideas on how I can execute the relationship between them. Rodrigo, for example, recommended me to watch the film, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, in order to learn how to use camera and editing techniques to distinguish between the imaginary character and the main character. Along with this, Luis explained how I should do the dream sequence, because that would allow me to introduce the idea that the imaginary character is someone that the main character saw in real life, and created an alternate persona in their mind of them. While I thought the idea was interesting, I'm afraid that it will be difficult to execute in two minutes, but I will definitely keep that concept on the backburner. Although, the key idea I learned through this group meeting was what my genre is going to be, and I decided that I wanted it to be coming of age because I want to focus on the emotional thoughts and journey of the main character, rather than it be a simple teenage film. 



Group meeting notes I took during class :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

May I Present...Keep Watching!

The journey of making Keep Watching  has come to an end! Below are the links the short film, social media page, and the postcard.  Keep Watc...