Thursday, March 25, 2021

Changing the Script...Again!

 Hey y'all it's Soph!

Good news! I was able to film the first part of my opening this spring break. Although, once I finished and began to edit (will be discussed in next block post ;)), I realized that my script was too long, and so I had to make some changes. 

For example, in the original script had a moment in which Val was trying to convince Valarie to show her what was inside her journal, and she used bribery as a form of persuasion. The entire scene was shot and edited, but once I finished it and put the other clips together, I was running out of time, which left me little room to fit the second scene. Therefore, I cut out the entire scene, and skipped to the section of the script in which Val brings up Valarie's crush, Josh. I was a little upset that I had to cut that scene out because I thought Nicole and Shania provided a heartwarming performance, but I realized that the specific part wasn't necessary for the overall sense of mystery and engagement I was trying to create.


This is the scene filmed (and somewhat edited) before it was cut from the opening

Along with this cut, I decided to rewrite the ENTIRE second scene. The main reason for this was due to time, but this forced change also allowed me to realize that I can illustrate Val's grief visually, rather than demonstrating it vaguely through dialogue. My original idea for the second scene was that Val was aware of Valarie's imaginative presence, but instead I decided that it would be more entertaining and interesting if Val was unaware of how serious her sadness was, and so when she sees Valarie reappear, it's a surprise rather than a reoccurring event. 


- Linked is the full script, including the cut bribery scene :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

May I Present...Keep Watching!

The journey of making Keep Watching  has come to an end! Below are the links the short film, social media page, and the postcard.  Keep Watc...