Thursday, March 10, 2022

So I Made a Mistake...

 After writing the script and seeing the plot develop itself, I realized that Keep Watching is not a psychological thriller. Like at all. Not even close.

But...that's ok! I've realized that it turned into a mystery thriller, so essentially removing the psychological part and replace it with mystery. Yay!

Why Keep Watching is NOT Psychological

    My original idea (Finding the Right Match-Picking a Genre and Writing a Psychological Thriller: Screenwriting Research) consisted of Eve, who didn't have a name at the time, being impacted by her environment to a point in which she started to feel insane, hence the psychological aspect of the film. I wanted those around her to make her question herself and what she believed. While the first part of this concept still remains, since she is being heavily impacted by her environment, she isn't doubting herself, or analyzing her emotions. Eve feels confident in what she is witnessing and wants to change it. Therefore, the thriller element still remains, which is that Eve is trying to uncover who is "watching" and trying to stop them from watching, but the mystery aspect comes from that investigation itself, as the audience, along with Eve, are trying to uncover this question. Little does the audience know, however, they are the answer to the question, but what keeps the film a mystery is that the audience will have no idea until the end. 

    Overall, key components of the thriller genre remain within the script, such as the element of suspense, as well as the use of a cliffhanger which is incorporated at the end of the film. I still feel as though the research I did earlier (Writing a Psychological Thriller: Screenwriting Research) still applies, as elements of the overall thriller genre exist. Along with this, this research has allowed me to realize that while writing the script, there weren't any psychological elements to my story and my story as a whole wouldn't pan out in the direction I originally intended. At first I was worried about this because I was afraid that I would have to rewrite the entire plot to fit my original research, but instead I decided to let the plot take its course and unravel the way it needed to, and I'm content with the final result. 

Anywayyy I just wanted to do a quick blog post updating y'all on this change! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

May I Present...Keep Watching!

The journey of making Keep Watching  has come to an end! Below are the links the short film, social media page, and the postcard.  Keep Watc...