Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Short Film Script Part 3!

 Hey y'all! I have more of the script, soooooo let's discuss.









    This mini scene between Eve and the Interviewer is meant to highlight Jane's friendship, and Eve's questioning of it. Originally, I had the Interviewer say that Jane "knew her place", but I changed it to "role" for two reasons. 
1. I wanted to portray the idea that everyone has to play a role, and are complicit in it
2. I wanted Jane's character to seem off and not someone the audience should totally trust

    Meanwhile, Eve is questioning her relationship with Jane, since everything in her life during this point in time, at least in her mind, seems fabricated. The Interviewer says that Jane was in fact "real", but do they mean real as a person or real as a friend? I wanted that aspect of the conversation to remain vauge, so that the audience can question that for themselves. 

    The scene changes from Eve being interviewed to her wandering the town at night. In this particular scene, I wanted Eve to feel isolated and uncomfortable, so I added three random characters to make her experience more frightening and suspenseful (I'm such a nice person, I know!). Persons' #1, #2, and #3, are meant to resemble "actors", or planted people to stop Eve from discovering who's watching her and everyone in town. I wanted them to act as townspeople, or those really annoying guides that help you at theme parks or your local Sephora. I wanted them to pester and annoy Eve, but in a really pushy way, as if they are preventing her from doing something (spoiler alert, they are!)

    Eve running away in this scene is meant to be her first act of rebellion that will begin to pile up as the story continues to unfold. From this point foward, Eve is meant to grow more anxious and afraid of her surroundings, and starts to become hyperaware of who to trust and talk to, and who not to trust. 




Instead of going back to another interrogation scene, I wanted to dive deeper into the past, so I switched the scene to Eve's bedroom. Of course, Eve calls Jade over because in that moment, that is the only person she trusts. When Eve confronts Jane about what she saw a couple of days ago, which was the scene in which the first instance of breaking the fourth wall occured (Short Film Script Part 2), Jane denies what she saw and come up with an excuse. Jane does this out of fear that they, or rather she, will get in trouble. Along with this, I had Jane constantly repeat that she was Eve's "best friend", and that everything she was doing was out of Eve's best interest because she cared about her as a "friend". The reason I emphasized this was because two scenes prior, the Interviewer mentioned how Jane was playing her "role", and now in this scene, Jane is literally playing said role, which is to be Eve's "friend". 

However, Jane becomes less caring and more scared as the scene progresses...






    Jane switches her way of words and manner of speaking. She becomes more rough with Eve, and instead of calling herself her "best friend", she calls herself her "friend". Jane is now completely disregarding her friendship with Eve, and has become complicit in the actions that this society poses onto its citizens. Eve, in turn, grows worried about Jane, while Jane becomes more villinous. 

    Once Jane gets Eve to agree to her terms and stay out of sight, she reverts back to normal, just as she did that day in town. Jane's sudden change in mood is meant to represent how anything inconvient or bad that happens is automatically erased, forgotten, and not spoken about. Eve, on the other hand, doesn't abide by this, and sees that this way of life is wrong. She wants it to stop, and hence, she runs outside to protest the survellience. This scene is meant to be uncomfortable, as it shows Eve is losing her mind, as she no longer wants to be watched and followed. The yelling and protest coming from Eve slowly progresses, and while that isn't in the script, it is something I want to portray when I start production. 


Changes and Progress

My worry as of right now is that the script is too long, as the time limit is seven minutes. I first want to finish the script before I make any edits or changes to it, just so I can see the story complete and somewhat fleshed out. I'm hoping to write the ending sometime this week and get started on editing the script, as well as thinking about production. I have a couple of locations in mind, but we'll see how it works out depending on what the final script looks like. 

That's all for this blog! Byeeeeeee


 






    

No comments:

Post a Comment

May I Present...Keep Watching!

The journey of making Keep Watching  has come to an end! Below are the links the short film, social media page, and the postcard.  Keep Watc...